What if Your Audience is Psychic?

What if Your Audience is Psychic?

Read Time: 5 Minutes

I am writing this post from the deck of my apartment. It is a gorgeous fall day here in Seattle and it has me thinking.

The idea I want to give you today is one I have been using in my speaking career since day one and I think it will help your presentations immeasurably.

What if your audience is psychic?

Why What You Say Matters Less Than How You Say It

Why What You Say Matters Less Than How You Say It

Read Time : 5 Minutes

I am sure you have heard that old statistic that only 7% of communication face to face is the actual content, the words. The other 93% is the context, the tone of voice, the body language, etc... 

But I don't think that most people have fully embraced what that means for how we work on presentation skills...

How and Why to Have a Presentation Ritual

How and Why to Have a Presentation Ritual

Read Time: 3:30 Minutes

In today's blog post I want to share with you my perspective on how you can build a presentation ritual which will remove the fear of speaking at its root and put you in a state of mind which fuels peak performance as a presenter. 

How to memorize A 10 hour long speech

How to memorize A 10 hour long speech

Read Time: 4:30 Minutes

Something which I have always taken great pride in is that I am able to talk for a very, very long time without notes. It's just something I was born with, my grandma used to ask me "Haven't you run out of words yet?!" when I would chatter as a little kid. People always seem surprised that I don't need notes for speeches, no matter how long, even while citing statistics and telling stories. 

I've called this post "How to memorize a 10 hour long speech" because in it I want to let you know my top 3 pieces of advice for memorizing your content so well you can talk as long as you need to...

Why I Believe In the Law of Attraction

Why I Believe In the Law of Attraction

Read Time: 3 Minutes

I am not a superstitious person, heck most people I know well would say I am logical to a fault. But I believe in the law of attraction and I believe it is a valuable tool for anyone who is working on presenting themselves better. 

Let me explain. 

I don't believe in the version of the law of attraction which comes to mind for most people. You know...

The Root Cause of Presentation Anxiety

The Root Cause of Presentation Anxiety

Read Time: 6 Minutes

I've had many great discussions over the last few years about why presenting and public speaking cause such a massive spike in anxiety in most people. 

Both what the root cause of this fear is and also a solution or a workaround to it.

Today's post was inspired by a conversation I had 2 weeks ago with a friend...

Why do You Deserve to Speak?

Why do You Deserve to Speak?

Read Time: 17 minutes (yeah, it's a big post)

Something I always preach when teaching presentation skills is an idea I call "what gives you the right to speak?" This is where I challenge my clients about why they deserve to speak on their topic. When you understand why you deserve to speak about your subject clearly you end up with the unshakable self-belief which is necessary to present in a captivating way.

After I make the case for why this exercise is useful for any would be presenter, I have included a rant to...

10 Tips For Overcoming Presentation Anxiety

10 Tips For Overcoming Presentation Anxiety

Read Time : 7 Minutes

Public speaking is an almost universal fear. I'm sure you have heard that it ranks higher than death on the lists of peoples fears. 

And you might have heard the old joke that at a funeral, most people would rather be the one in the coffin than the one reading the eulogy! 

But things don't have to be this way. 

In your business life, being able to present yourself well is vitally important. And presenting yourself in a way that commands attention is next to impossible to do when you your legs are shaking and your hands are sweating from fear. 

If you want to learn how to overcome the fear of speaking in public, read on...

Confident but Coachable

Confident but Coachable

Read Time : 11 Minutes

In today's post I want to put forward the idea that being confident but coach-able is one of the pillars of connecting well with other people and one of the key pillars of team cohesiveness. 

I think my generation is lacking the ability to own both their skills and shortcomings. 
In my interviews with people who are in the business of hiring young professionals (under 30) one of the most common gripes that comes up is ...